Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A New Life!

Installment I of "A New Life" saga:

The time has finally come. I'm done! No more cigarettes! No more ignoring my body's need for balance; balance in what and how much I eat and what I need to stay physically fit. After all, the prize is water skiing one more time! Little did I know just how badly out-of-shape I was when I started my yoga stretches again after a (cough) long haitus. Now, when I reach for something, I grab my side - what the....? Oh, yeah. Those arm-over-the-head-lean-to-the-side-things. Oh well, no pain, no gain, right?!!

My decision to do both life altering things at once was really motivated by money. That's right. Money. Or the lack of it. When I found it more difficult to purchase things I had taken for granted for years, one of those "ah-ha" moments interrupted my depression. (Not that I have ever allowed myself much time for depression, mind you. I find it a waste of good resources, especially when I'd much rather be happy. Giving in to depression puts the brakes on any forward movement. Even if I feel like I'm taking one step forward and two back sometimes, wallowing in pity is going entirely in the wrong direction.)

Moving forward from where I am probably won't restore the looks of my youth, but I've always felt it was possible to defy age with good health and a positive attitude and I FEEL IT WORKING! In the past six days, I have planted five trees, weeded two garden beds (several to go), laid three bags of mulch, filled six bags of yard waste, done my weekly housecleaning, laundry and grocery shopping and enjoyed a lovely Easter holiday with a few members of my family.

Every day I work to accomplish the daily mini goals I've set for myself and all the while I see me hanging tightly to the ski bar, sailing back and forth across the wake of the boat, thrilled to have achieved another personal goal!

Postscript: It has been eighteen (18) days since my lips have known a cigarette!
My lungs rejoice and (per my personal Doctor) I no longer use ANY inhalers!

Coming: Installment II - The Yard Sale

No comments:

Post a Comment